Splash FM Website of the Day, 1st August 2005. Be Impressed.

Sunday, July 31, 2005

Mary J Blige – (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman.

Who’s the most innovative female singer of our decade?

This is the question posed at the beginning of Mary J Blige’s 1997 album Share My World. ‘Mary J Blige’ wouldn’t be my answer to that question (see Monday for my answer) but that’s the sort of hubris you need to invite comparisons with Aretha Franklin.

Share My World was Blige’s first album without the guiding hand of Sean Hufflepuff Piffle Diddy Daddy Combs who had been her mentor since she was 17. Combs’ boots were filled by Jimmy Jam and Terry Lewis with results that were commercially, although not critically, successful.

As I understand it, this track did not appear on the US version of the album. That’s a shame as it shows just how heavily influenced by Franklin she is. This version is an almost note for note rendition of Franklin’s.

Mary J Blige – (You Make Me Feel Like A) Natural Woman.

Share My World

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home