Splash FM Website of the Day, 1st August 2005. Be Impressed.

Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Jewel – You Were Meant for Me

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

The one who really made it, made it coz her breasts were really big

That may not be entirely true but Jewel certainly got plenty of support from horny old rockers early in her career. She opened for Neil Young and Bob Dylan and had Red Hot Chilli Flea hanging round her like a bad smell (and I imagine Flea smells very bad). Dylan in particular has a habit of hiring attractive female support acts (e.g., e.g., e.g., e.g., e.g.).

Jewel released her debut album, Pieces of You, back in 1995. Unfortunately, at the time the world liked its female singer-songwriters angry, shouty and with only a tenuous grasp of the meaning of the word ‘ironic’. As a result it took more than a year for the album break into the top 100 in the US. Jewel can take some credit/blame for killing off the likes of Morissette and the rise of the girly-girls which reached its nadir, let’s hope, with Dido.

The one who really made it, made it coz she was actually pretty good.

‘Actually pretty good’ is damning with faint praise but accurate. I have to admit, I find this song quite charming. The people who are great rather than ‘pretty good’ rarely make it.

Jewel was born in Alaska. I wouldn’t normally mention it but it gives me a chance to share my favourite state capitals joke:

What’s the capital of Alaska?
Juneau.
No, that’s why I’m asking.

Da-dum. Tish.


Jewel – You Were Meant for Me

Buy Pieces of You

1 Comments:

At 3:52 PM, Blogger Woodshed said...

You're easy to please. It's a terrible joke. It's my favourite state capitals joke by virtue of the fact it's the only one I know. Unless you were being sarcastic.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home