Splash FM Website of the Day, 1st August 2005. Be Impressed.

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Ash – I Only Want To Be With You



















Christmas 1997 saw the second of the Spice Girls’ trio of consecutive Xmas number ones. I don’t care how many begging emails I get I’m not going to post it. Nor am I going to post any festive ditties (largely because I don’t seem to have any from ’97 in my collection but also because they tend to fill me with murderous rage rather than goodwill to all men). But, I am going to post Ash’s spunky cover of Dusty Springfield’s I Only Want To Be With You in the hope of spreading some Crimbo joy.

The Spice Girls were part of Ash’s considerable celeb following at the time (which also included Oasis, Placebo, Blur, 3 Colours Red amongst others). Tim ‘the handsome one out of Ash’ Wheeler had called the Spice Girls ‘the coolest band on the planet’ (although which Spicepants he was trying to get into at the time history does not record). This popularity occurred during Ash’s golden period between the fantastic 1977 (just 20 away from being this blog’s favourite album) and the disastrously awful Nu –Clear Sounds. It was also the year they recruited Charlotte Hatherley.

I Only Want To Be With You was released as one of the b-sides of the ultra rare Barbie 7” which also featured a cover of Beck’s Devil’s Haircut.

Ash - I Only Want To Be With You

Buy Barbie (if you’re feeling lucky).


Have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year. See you in 2006.

2 Comments:

At 7:42 AM, Blogger Woodshed said...

You're welcome. I thought it was about time I posted something people might actually like.

I hope you enjoy your Christmas, Hannah. Unless you've been a naughty girl of course.

 
At 9:52 AM, Blogger Woodshed said...

How long's this comment been here? Since it's nearly impossible to buy and you ask so nicely I'll send it you if you tell me how.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home