Splash FM Website of the Day, 1st August 2005. Be Impressed.

Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Supergrass - Richard III

Supergrass, as my good friend Rhian Coggin once claimed, are everybody's second-favourite band. The boys are currently on tour round the UK, preceding what will be their fifth studio album - not bad going really. They've been going in excess of a decade now (celebrated by last year's singles collection - Supergrass is 10) and they're showing no signs of stopping.

So, because I feel like it, here's one of the tracks, a single, no less, from their hit 1997 album 'In It For The Money', five tracks of which made it onto the aforementioned compilation.

Richard III

It's still Supergrass-catchy, just in a darker, hard-driven rock way. The general idea of 'In It For The Money' was to sound different and more developed compared to the first album. This track manages to be one of the least like 'Alright' that Supergrass have ever done yet both songs peaked at 2, the band's highest ever chart position. Talking of 'Alright' - it was omitted from their setlist when I saw them on this current tour.

Buy In It For The Money
Buy
Supergrass is 10
Visit
Children Of The Monkey Basket

4 Comments:

At 5:41 PM, Blogger Woodshed said...

I know WL is on hiatus but you have to tell me. Single of the Week: Coldplay or Crazy Frog?

 
At 7:33 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Hey Woodshed! Do you REALLY need an answer? I love Coldplay to pieces and that thing makes me want to smash things. The dance tune itself has also become more irritating than the stupid 'frog'. I usually like frogs. That thing is NOT a frog.

However, that said, I quite like the BSP single and I also heard that what Shane Lynch is releasing is worse than the Crazy Frog.

 
At 3:41 PM, Blogger Woodshed said...

Pfft. Plug in Grandma. The kids don’t want intelligent, well crafted songs any more. They want cheesy 80’s disco with dodgy animal impressions on. One day all records will sound like crazy frog.

I must be losing touch too. It took me ages to work out what BSP stands for. Billie Sodding Piper, right?

 
At 4:34 PM, Blogger Hannah said...

Kids? You mean chavs, and the under tens. The music-buying public that matter get the albums nowadays - everyone knows that.

British Sea Power. I do hope you're playing dumb.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home